Sunday, October 10, 2010

Microchipping

I've been gone for a week visiting my daughter, her husband, and my brand new grandson, Aiden.  What an amazing week.  But it's time to get back to work.  And there's plenty of work for me to get back to, I'm sure.

I've been thinking a lot about microchipping these last several weeks.  It amazes me the number of dogs that are brought in as strays that no one ever calls to see if we have them.  Last week 4 dogs were returned to their owners.  That is wonderful.  In most cases, that is the happiest ending to a lost dog's story.  I don't know how many of them had microchips - I'l find that out tomorrow when I get back.  At the Humane Society of Henderson County, microchipping is one of the many services we offer.  If your dog is lost and brought to a vet's office or an animal shelter, they can look for a microchip and contact the owner so they can be reunited.  We even have an amazing story at HSHC of a previous owner being reunited with a dog he loved but needed to find a new home for a few years ago.  Due to her microchip, we found him and he and Samantha went home together.  His situation had greatly improved and he was so excited to get his girl back.   And I'll never forget the joy evident in every inch of that dog's body when she recognized her previous owner.  

We microchip all dogs that are adopted out of the shelter and will microchip cats upon request.  If you already have a beloved pet, we will still be happy to microchip them.  The charge is $30 and that includes free registration with a national registry that will have your contact information available in case your animal gets lost.

Petfinder has an excellent series of articles on microchipping.  I've added the link below:  http://www.petfinder.com/after-pet-adoption/why-microchip.html
Or contact us and we'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.  I hope all of you will seriously consider the benefits of this low cost, but priceless, service for your pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment